There was a time when people borrowed funds only in case of emergencies. They used to earn first and then think of fulfilling the desires, needs and wants of life. Today’s generation knows how to work harder, but just cannot wait till the time they earn sufficient money that is needed to get what they want to. Banks, financial institutions and other private lenders are here to fulfil the dreams of this new generation. But they are not angels, who will just give them the money and forget about it. They are in a business, and they want returns of their investment. That is why before lending money, they make sure that the borrower has sufficient repayment capacity as well as the intention to pay back the money with interest. For this they check the CIBIL score of an individual.
So if you wish to borrow funds anytime in your life, you must pay close attention to your score. If you find things out of control, you must take steps to increase CIBIL score. Here are 10 credit hacks to improve CIBIL score.
Check your credit reports– The first thing that you need to check is whether there are any errors in the report. A low CIBIL score may be the result of mistakes on the part of the bureau which are not uncommon these days. Even though everything is digitized, errors do occur and become the reason for a low score. If the report reflects accurate information, then you need to identify areas where you need to focus your energies on to improve your score. Are you having too many loan accounts? Are your payments getting delayed? Is your outstanding balance on credit cards high? Looking at these factors will help you identify the road that you need to follow to reach your goal.
Clear past due payment- Payments that are more than 90 days past due bring down your score drastically. Clear your past due payments, and start making all the future payments on time. An on time payment track record gives a boost to your score.
Make a budget and stick to it- Having a credit card does not mean that you can spend as much as the credit limit allows. One needs to make a realistic budget and spend only what one can repay at the end of the month. Carrying huge balances on the credit card month after month will lead you in a debt trap.
Credit utilization rate- The percentage of the credit limit that you utilize significantly affects the credit score. Maxing out the credit cards bring your score down. If you pay off your credit card balances it will reduce the utilization levels and help in improving CIBIL score.
- Pay the credit card bill twice in a month- If you use your credit card as a convenient means of paying for most of your expenses, it is possible that you reach the card limit when the bill is generated. Even if you pay the full balance when the card statement arrives, you may still have a low score, as the balance that is sent to the bureau for utilization calculation may be the statement balance. By making two payments in a month we can keep a check on the utilization levels.
- Take a personal loan to consolidate credit card debt- The credit card debt is the most expensive form of borrowing. If you have outstanding balances on multiple cards, it is advisable to take a personal loan to pay off all these debts. It will help you save money as personal loan is available at a comparatively low rate of interest. Moreover, the credit utilization levels decrease and help in improving the score.
- Raise in the credit limit- Check with your card issuer if you are eligible for a credit line increase. A rise in the credit limit also helps in decreasing utilization levels and increases your credit score.
- Negotiate with creditors- One can try if negative items can be removed from the credit report by talking to the creditors directly. Sometimes they agree to remove the entries out of goodwill. Find out if you can reach an arrangement with them wherein you pay the balance in exchange of the entry getting deleted.
- Keep old accounts open- Old and active accounts help in increasing the length of the credit history that has a positive effect on the credit score.
- Display good credit behaviour- One can take a loan with bad CIBIL score and make the payments on time to display good credit behaviour. This will help in building a good credit score.